MILWAUKEE (AP) - Wisconsin's Tammy Baldwin is among a dozen new U.S. senators taking the oath of office.
Vice President Joe Biden swore in the 12 new senators Thursday, as well as those who won another term.
Democrats tightened their grip on the Senate with 55-45 edge following the November elections.
Baldwin is Wisconsin's first female senator and also the first openly gay candidate ever elected to the chamber. She defeated former Gov. Tommy Thompson, who had never before lost a statewide race.18004768
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering