TOWN OF CAMPBELL, WI - Authorities confirm they are investigating a murder-suicide on French Island on Tuesday at 236 Tellin Court.
Neighbor Jack Smizek told News 8 he heard something across the hall of his apartment complex Tuesday after 9 a.m. Later in the morning, his wife found bullet holes in the wall of their apartment.
"When [my wife] got up, she noticed dust over our TV set and the TV stand and couldn't figure out where it came from," Smizek said. "She looked up and saw a hole in the wall, and she turned around and in the far wall, she saw where the bullet had gone in the other wall."
Smizek and his wife found matching bullet holes across the hallway at the neighboring apartment, and immediately called police after the discovery, at 10:45 a.m.
"It's just hard to believe something like that could happen so close to home," Smizek said. "You stop and wonder if I would've responded right away when I first heard it, if something could've been done, but on the same token, what might I have walked in on, I don't know."
Smizek was still waiting to return to his apartment late Tuesday afternoon as officers continued to investigate the scene.
Police say two people are dead, but names won't be released until autopsies are completed.
Authorities are not releasing any more information until the families are notified.
"There's not much more you can say," Smizek said. "It's just sad."
Stay with News 8 and News8000.com as more information becomes available.21456840
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday