DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A Des Moines attorney has been appointed to serve as an independent investigator to determine whether a state senator violated Senate rules by taking payment from former Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.
Mark Weinhardt has been appointed by Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice Mark Cady as independent special counsel. The Iowa State Senate Ethics Committee voted May 1 to seek a special investigator.
Weinhardt will determine whether Republican Sen. Kent Sorenson, of Milo, was paid for campaign work on behalf Bachmann, a Minnesota congresswoman who campaigned for president between June 2011 and January 2012.
Two former Bachmann campaign staffers say Sorenson was indirectly paid $7,500 a month.
Iowa Senate ethics rules bar paid employment with political campaigns.
Sorenson denies payment and says the investigation is a political witch hunt.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather