BANGOR, Wis. - St. Paul's Lutheran Evangelical Lutheran School in Bangor closed Monday due to a water main break near the school.
The school's principal Tim Payne says the water main break happened about half a block from the school, at the intersection of Commercial and 14th Streets.
Village of Bangor Public Works Director Steve Baker says the break happened somewhere between 3 and 4 a.m. Water was shut off to about 150 buildings by 9 a.m.
Payne says he first saw the broken main on his walk to school.
"The whole street from side to side was filled with ice and just moving water so, I noticed it about two blocks down from where it actually started so after the 4 or 5 hours it had of going off it was pretty solid," Payne said.
The break was fixed and water was turned back on around 3 p.m.
Baker says it looks like the break was a result of freezing and thawing ground.18406960
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration