CHILTON, WI (AP) - An Appleton elementary school principal accused of mishandling a child abuse report will stand trial in May.
Post-Crescent Media reports Richard J. Waters is charged with misdemeanor charges of obstructing police and failure to report child abuse.
The charges relate to a 2011 investigation into former special education teacher Mary Berglund at Janet Berry Elementary School. She was sentenced to three years probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor battery charges.
Police say Waters failed to come forward with the reports in a timely manner, made a statement contrary to information provided by another witness and altered a letter regarding the case.
Waters' attorney, Len Kachinsky, asked the judge Friday to dismiss the case based on a lack of evidence. But the judge disagreed and set a trial.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building
- La Crosse brush pick-up starts this week
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota