CHILTON, WI (AP) - An Appleton elementary school principal accused of mishandling a child abuse report will stand trial in May.
Post-Crescent Media reports Richard J. Waters is charged with misdemeanor charges of obstructing police and failure to report child abuse.
The charges relate to a 2011 investigation into former special education teacher Mary Berglund at Janet Berry Elementary School. She was sentenced to three years probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor battery charges.
Police say Waters failed to come forward with the reports in a timely manner, made a statement contrary to information provided by another witness and altered a letter regarding the case.
Waters' attorney, Len Kachinsky, asked the judge Friday to dismiss the case based on a lack of evidence. But the judge disagreed and set a trial.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse