LA CROSSE, Wis. - One person is sent to the hospital after an early morning apartment fire in downtown La Crosse.
It happened at 333 S. 7 Street around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday. That's the Stoffel Court high rise, which offers housing for elderly people.
When firefighters arrived, they found black smoke coming from a 7th floor window.
A female victim was quickly removed from the apartment and transported to Mayo Clinic Health System for burns and smoke inhalation. She was later transported to a hospital in Minneapolis for treatment.17633456
Authorities have not yet released the victim's name or condition.
Investigators say all of the damage was contained to the one apartment.
The State Fire Marshall's Office is assisting in the investigation to determine a cause.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest