LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Randall Pickering has been the voice over the loud speaker at the Wisconsin State Track and Field Meet for 25 years, the same year the event moved to UW-La Crosse.
Since taking over the microphone, he's noticed one major perk about his job: the view.
"I get the best seat in the house, I've got the opportunity to look across, well first of all you start with the backdrop here in La Crosse, an absolutely phenomenal scenic beauty, a natural beauty, and then I get a chance to look down across all the different field events going on, all the running events," said Pickering
Pickering has been helping at State Track and Field for 44 years. "I go to the football championship, the basketball championships, the hockey championships," said Pickering, "and they're all magic in and of themselves, but there's nothing that tops sort of the sort of enormity of what this meet brings."
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership