LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Randall Pickering has been the voice over the loud speaker at the Wisconsin State Track and Field Meet for 25 years, the same year the event moved to UW-La Crosse.
Since taking over the microphone, he's noticed one major perk about his job: the view.
"I get the best seat in the house, I've got the opportunity to look across, well first of all you start with the backdrop here in La Crosse, an absolutely phenomenal scenic beauty, a natural beauty, and then I get a chance to look down across all the different field events going on, all the running events," said Pickering
Pickering has been helping at State Track and Field for 44 years. "I go to the football championship, the basketball championships, the hockey championships," said Pickering, "and they're all magic in and of themselves, but there's nothing that tops sort of the sort of enormity of what this meet brings."
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota