ADAMS, Wis. (AP) -- - Adams County authorities are holding a suspect in the shooting death of his girlfriend.
Officials say the 28-year-old Adams man told dispatchers he was asleep in his bed early Saturday when his girlfriend startled him, and that he shot her with a shotgun he kept near the bed.
The victim was identified Sunday as 27-year-old Toni Voss, of Adams, who died at the scene in central Wisconsin.
The suspect is being held on suspicion of first-degree reckless homicide.
A young child who was in the house at the time was unharmed and was placed with a relative.
A statement from the sheriff's office says the investigation is continuing.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser