ADAMS, Wis. (AP) -- - Adams County authorities are holding a suspect in the shooting death of his girlfriend.
Officials say the 28-year-old Adams man told dispatchers he was asleep in his bed early Saturday when his girlfriend startled him, and that he shot her with a shotgun he kept near the bed.
The victim was identified Sunday as 27-year-old Toni Voss, of Adams, who died at the scene in central Wisconsin.
The suspect is being held on suspicion of first-degree reckless homicide.
A young child who was in the house at the time was unharmed and was placed with a relative.
A statement from the sheriff's office says the investigation is continuing.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers