SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Sparta residents narrowly voted to approve beer sales in the city during Tuesday's election, but outstanding absentee ballots could swing the vote.
The numbers showed a five vote margin in favor. However, the city clerk says there are eight outstanding absentee ballots that could still be added to the vote totals.
As long as the absentee ballots were postmarked by Tuesday and arrive by Friday, they'll be tallied.
And with such a close vote, the clerk is expecting to do a recount. "From what I understand, a voter, any voter on a referendum can request a recount and I've already had indication that if it should not pass, then they want to do a recount," said Sparta City Clerk Julie Hanson.
The official canvass is scheduled for Friday afternoon.
- The Latest: Trump take executive action on oil pipelines
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY
- Section of riverbank collapses near City Hall in Des Moines