SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Sparta residents narrowly voted to approve beer sales in the city during Tuesday's election, but outstanding absentee ballots could swing the vote.
The numbers showed a five vote margin in favor. However, the city clerk says there are eight outstanding absentee ballots that could still be added to the vote totals.
As long as the absentee ballots were postmarked by Tuesday and arrive by Friday, they'll be tallied.
And with such a close vote, the clerk is expecting to do a recount. "From what I understand, a voter, any voter on a referendum can request a recount and I've already had indication that if it should not pass, then they want to do a recount," said Sparta City Clerk Julie Hanson.
The official canvass is scheduled for Friday afternoon.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline