INDEPENDENCE, Iowa (AP) - Six northeast Iowa teenagers have been charged with misdemeanors stemming from distribution of an obscene photo taken by a fellow student.
The case began with a teen girl taking her own picture with a cellphone and sending it to a teenage boy at Independence Junior/Senior High School in Independence. He forwarded it to several friends, who sent it on to several others.
Buchanan County Attorney Shawn Harden says a student who received the forwarded photo reported it to his parents, who then contacted the school. The school reported it to law enforcement officials.
The six students were arrested last week and soon were released to their parents.
Iowa law bars using a phone to send obscene material to a minor.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016