INDEPENDENCE, Iowa (AP) - Six northeast Iowa teenagers have been charged with misdemeanors stemming from distribution of an obscene photo taken by a fellow student.
The case began with a teen girl taking her own picture with a cellphone and sending it to a teenage boy at Independence Junior/Senior High School in Independence. He forwarded it to several friends, who sent it on to several others.
Buchanan County Attorney Shawn Harden says a student who received the forwarded photo reported it to his parents, who then contacted the school. The school reported it to law enforcement officials.
The six students were arrested last week and soon were released to their parents.
Iowa law bars using a phone to send obscene material to a minor.
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking
- Cool, wet conditions put damper on Minnesota spring planting
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Teacher pleads not guilty to failure to report sex abuse
- Authorities ID man whose body was found in Des Moines River
- Minnesota man accused of trying to kidnap woman
- Local students compete in dairy cook off