EDGERTON, Wis. - Cold conditions prompted the Edgerton Fire Department to call 23 fire departments to fight a house fire Friday morning.
Lt. Brennon Rousch said firefighters were called to the home in the 200 block of Albion Street at about 2 a.m. He said firefighters reported heavy smoke coming from the attic area when they arrived.
The family, including at least nine children, escaped safely.
Crews brought the fire under control by 6 a.m. and used 14,000 gallons of water to fight the fire. Firefighters said the entire home was damaged but most of the damage to the more than 100-year-old house was on the third floor. Damage estimates are not yet available.
An initial investigation suggests the cause of the fire was a faulty furnace.
- Local event helps connect military families
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Area couples prepare for wedding season
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers