EDGERTON, Wis. - Cold conditions prompted the Edgerton Fire Department to call 23 fire departments to fight a house fire Friday morning.
Lt. Brennon Rousch said firefighters were called to the home in the 200 block of Albion Street at about 2 a.m. He said firefighters reported heavy smoke coming from the attic area when they arrived.
The family, including at least nine children, escaped safely.
Crews brought the fire under control by 6 a.m. and used 14,000 gallons of water to fight the fire. Firefighters said the entire home was damaged but most of the damage to the more than 100-year-old house was on the third floor. Damage estimates are not yet available.
An initial investigation suggests the cause of the fire was a faulty furnace.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather