DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - A man convicted of fatally punching a man outside a bar in St. Louis County has been sentenced to a maximum 18 years in prison.
Paul Welle knocked Dale Anderson onto a concrete slab outside the Powerhouse Bar in Proctor last November. Testimony at trial indicated Anderson was trying to protect a woman from Welle's unwanted advances.
A jury in September found the 33-year-old Elk River man guilty of second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter. The Duluth News Tribune reports Welle ran from the scene of the crime, then told investigators Anderson attacked him first and that he was defending himself.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.