EXIRA, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say a 12-year-old boy has been fatally injured in the crash of a pickup he was driving in western Iowa.
Atlantic radio station KJAN reports that the accident occurred about 4:30 p.m. Thursday on a rural road seven miles east of Exira.
The Audubon County Sheriff's Department says Austin Vais, of Exira, wasn't wearing a seat belt or other restraint when the pickup went out of control, slid sideways and rolled. The boy was ejected.
He'd been driving alone in the truck.
The department says Vais was taken to Audubon County Memorial Hospital in Audubon, where he died.
The crash is being investigated.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands