MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A Maple Grove police officer escaped serious injury when his squad car collided with a light-rail train in downtown Minneapolis.
Authorities say the suburban officer was on his way back from the Hennepin County Juvenile Detention Center around 1 a.m. Saturday. Metro Transit Police say the squad car was traveling alongside the train, turned right and collided with the train near Fifth Street and Fifth Avenue.
The officer's name was not immediately released. Maple Grove Police Sgt. Kyle Larson says he complained of minor hip pain but was otherwise unhurt.
The patrol car sustained heavy damage, while there was minor damage to the train car. Nobody on the train was hurt and the accident did not delay transit operations.
Metro Transit Police continue to investigate.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse