MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A Maple Grove police officer escaped serious injury when his squad car collided with a light-rail train in downtown Minneapolis.
Authorities say the suburban officer was on his way back from the Hennepin County Juvenile Detention Center around 1 a.m. Saturday. Metro Transit Police say the squad car was traveling alongside the train, turned right and collided with the train near Fifth Street and Fifth Avenue.
The officer's name was not immediately released. Maple Grove Police Sgt. Kyle Larson says he complained of minor hip pain but was otherwise unhurt.
The patrol car sustained heavy damage, while there was minor damage to the train car. Nobody on the train was hurt and the accident did not delay transit operations.
Metro Transit Police continue to investigate.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing