MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Three former Republican speakers of the state Assembly are now lobbying to expand school vouchers in Wisconsin.
Jeff Fitzgerald registered on Jan. 10 to lobby for School Choice Wisconsin, just days after his term ended. Another former Republican Assembly speaker, John Gard, is also registered as a lobbyist for the group. Its president is Jim Bender, a former legislative staffer who worked for Fitzgerald.
A third Republican former speaker, Scott Jensen, is a registered lobbyist for the American Federation for Children, another group that supports expanding vouchers.
Republican Gov. Scott Walker supports expanding vouchers, but he hasn't said what exactly his plan will look like.
Common Cause Wisconsin on Tuesday renewed its call for a prohibition on lawmakers becoming lobbyists immediately after leaving office.
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking
- Cool, wet conditions put damper on Minnesota spring planting
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Teacher pleads not guilty to failure to report sex abuse
- Authorities ID man whose body was found in Des Moines River
- Minnesota man accused of trying to kidnap woman
- Local students compete in dairy cook off