MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Three former Republican speakers of the state Assembly are now lobbying to expand school vouchers in Wisconsin.
Jeff Fitzgerald registered on Jan. 10 to lobby for School Choice Wisconsin, just days after his term ended. Another former Republican Assembly speaker, John Gard, is also registered as a lobbyist for the group. Its president is Jim Bender, a former legislative staffer who worked for Fitzgerald.
A third Republican former speaker, Scott Jensen, is a registered lobbyist for the American Federation for Children, another group that supports expanding vouchers.
Republican Gov. Scott Walker supports expanding vouchers, but he hasn't said what exactly his plan will look like.
Common Cause Wisconsin on Tuesday renewed its call for a prohibition on lawmakers becoming lobbyists immediately after leaving office.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016