LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - According to the National Retail Federation, Americans are expected to spend a record $23. 6 billion on Mother’s day.
One of the most popular items gifted to mothers is flowers and local flower shop owners have seen a spike in business recently as families try to find the perfect gift for their mother.
Florists and professional gardeners often start preparing for the holiday as far in advance as January.
Employees at La Crosse Floral say children often bring their mothers in the store on Mother's Day.
"In the garden center, we see moms and their sons or daughters come in together. Mom is sometimes in a wheel chair or sometimes she's just walking slowly with a cane, but they get to pick out what they want and usually there's a container involved and then the son or daughter goes home and plants it for them,” said Linda Zoerb, president of La Crosse Floral.
Florists say some of the most popular items this year are plants that attract pollinators such as bees, butterflies or hummingbirds.
- Kwik Trip expansion plans include 300 new jobs in La Crosse area
- Felony cases keep public defenders busy while defendants wait in jail
- No major injuries after school bus rollover in Black River Falls
- Tomah VA says progress made since 2014 overdose death
- Area fire departments want you to help 'keep the wreath green'
- Chronic wasting disease found in buck on Winona County farm
- New medication drop-off box now available in La Crosse
- Wisconsin DNR finds invasive carp in Wisconsin River
- 'Miracle Man:' La Crosse man survives heart attack on waterskis
- Last-minute preparations for La Crosse Community Thanksgiving Dinner