HOLMEN, Wis. (WKBT) - One person was exposed to toxic fumes and was taken to local hospital due to a chemical release early Thursday morning.
The La Crosse Fire Department Regional Hazmat Team assisted the Holmen Fire Department after a call from Dynamic Recycling was received at 7:53 a.m., a release said.
According to the release, the chemical involved was ammonium hydroxide.
All employees were evacuated from the business and the hazmat team was informed that a mixed batch of small glass chemical containers, which were the source of exposure, had been moved outside the building. A chemical odor was also reported throughout the building, the release said.
Air monitoring and assessment of surfaces was conducted by the hazmat team to determine the presence of hazards. A small amount of liquid chemical was spilled during a recycling process causing the toxic fumes.
The chemicals were removed from the building and the building was ventilated. According to the release, no cleanup was necessary in the building.
The hazard had dissipated and the atmosphere was safe for workers to return to work and continue normal operation at 10:30 a.m., according to the news release.
One other employee was taken to a local hospital for evaluation, according to the Hazmat team.
Correction: Dynamic Recycling is located at N5549 County Rd Z, in Onalaska, not Holmen as previously reported.
- La Crosse County felony cases hit 20-year high
- 2017 Wisconsin gun deer hunt's complete guide
- Hunters prepare for gun-deer season
- More deer, younger hunters expected for Wisconsin gun season
- Representative Kind introduced bill to manage CWD
- Hunters in Trempealeau County to watch for ear tagged deer
- Champs again: Bangor Football
- Milwaukee unveils blueprint to prevent violence in the city
- Minnesota doctors face opioid prescribing limits
- Worker injured in Wisconsin cheese plant explosion, fire