LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse is among the top 20 college towns in the country.
The American Institute for Economic Research puts La Crosse as the No. 19 best college town in America. It also is the only city in Wisconsin to make the list, a press release from UW-La Crosse said.
Boulder, Colorado, is the top-ranked college town in the U.S. and Rochester, Minnesota also made the list coming in at No. 16.
The description of La Crosse in the ranking reads as follows:
Located along the Mississippi River, La Crosse has a beautiful historic center. Compared with Madison, home to University of Wisconsin’s flagship campus, La Crosse offers an advantage in its social scene. The town has an array of pubs, eateries, and entertainment venues. It is also home to the World’s Largest Six-Pack, a landmark structure. La Crosse’s second most interesting feature is its extremely low unemployment rate, at 1.5 percent.
The American Institute for Economic Research compiled its list using nine economic, demographic, and quality-of-life factors. It defines college towns as having fewer than 250,000 residents.
Here is the complete list of towns:
College Towns Ranking
1 Boulder, Colorado
2 Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
3 Flagstaff, Arizona
4 Ithaca, New York
5 Iowa City, Iowa
6 Bloomington, Indiana
7 College Station, Texas
8 Manhattan, Kansas
9 Columbia, Missouri.
10 Bloomington, Illinois
11 Charlottesville, Virginia
12 Lafayette, Indiana
13 Fargo, North Dakota
14 Athens, Georgia
15 State College, Pennsylvania
16 Rochester, Minnesota
17 Blacksburg, Virginia
18 Jacksonville, North Carolina
19 La Crosse, Wisconsin
20 Bellingham, Washington
NO. 19 LA CROSSE, WIS.
No. 19 COLLEGE EDUCATED
No. 20 DIVERSITY
Quality of life
No. 12 CITY ACCESS
No. 12 ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
No. 16 BARS AND RESTAURANTS
No. 1 YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT
No. 3 LABOR FORCE
No. 17 INNOVATION
No. 9 RENT
- Mug Shot of the Day - Selma from Winona
- Local event hopes to bring relief to areas affected by natural disasters
- Speaker discusses racial history in La Crosse
- First annual 'fall in Love with Your Neighborhood' event hopes to bring community members together
- 26th annual State Bank Financial Chili Cookoff raises money for local programs
- Tainted gasoline delivered to La Crosse, La Crescent, surrounding areas
- Student leaders want say in University of Wisconsin merger
- Renewable energy jobs up 16 percent in Minnesota
- Paul Ryan says he's "bullish" on tax overhaul passing
- Wet autumn delays Minnesota harvest, worries farmers
- Fans petition Packers to sign Kaepernick
- Second body recovered from crashed plane
- Invasive fruit flies damage Minnesota fruit
- Menomonie police car hit person lying on a road
- Tasty breakfast scramble recipe