WAPELLO, Iowa (AP) - Officials say a 15-year-old girl has died after her motorized scooter was hit by a semitrailer as she tried to cross U.S. 61 in Wapello.
The Hawk Eye reports that Sierra Jane Bowdre died at the scene Monday night. The Iowa State Patrol says the crash happened at 9:50 p.m. when Bowdre was driving west on a city street and tried to cross the highway without yielding to oncoming traffic.
The Iowa State Patrol says the driver of the semi, 57-year-old Steven Lutman, of Colfax, Illinois, was not injured.
- Winona police department looking to add community outreach officers
- Poll shows lack of support of higher taxes for roads
- Poll shows most Wisconsinites oppose repealing health law
- Democrat Vinehout registers to run for governor
- Trump's approval rating worsens in Wisconsin
- Man who died during armed robbery identified
- Gov. Walker announces campaign to promote veteran-owned businesses
- Witnesses heard engine backfire before Wisconsin plane crash
- Shop owners, police stress firework safety and legality
- Outgoing Western president Lee Rasch reflects on legacy