JANESVILLE, Wis. - House Speaker Paul Ryan has won a ninth term in Congress.
Ryan, a Janesville Republican, defeated challenger Ryan Solen, a Mt. Pleasant Democrat, in Tuesday's election.
Ryan was first elected to represent southeastern Wisconsin's 1st Congressional District in 1998. He succeeded John Boehner as speaker last year.
Ryan was under fire during election season from fellow Republicans upset with his messy political divorce from Donald Trump.
Ryan was his party's 2012 vice presidential nominee and could harbor White House ambitions.
- Teen dies in Vernon County hunting accident
- Walker defends property tax cut, issues veto threat
- What Wisconsin's roads shortfall could mean for taxpayers
- IRS warns of private debt collector scam
- Marijuana among used clothing donated to Maplewood store
- Suicide attempts increase at juvenile prison in Wisconsin
- Trial delayed for Iowa man charged in woman's cannon death
- Minnesota lawmakers enter final day to wrap up budget
- Barron County puts initial tornado damage estimate at $10M
- Draft horses get back to work in Wisconsin farms, forests