JANESVILLE, Wis. - House Speaker Paul Ryan has won a ninth term in Congress.
Ryan, a Janesville Republican, defeated challenger Ryan Solen, a Mt. Pleasant Democrat, in Tuesday's election.
Ryan was first elected to represent southeastern Wisconsin's 1st Congressional District in 1998. He succeeded John Boehner as speaker last year.
Ryan was under fire during election season from fellow Republicans upset with his messy political divorce from Donald Trump.
Ryan was his party's 2012 vice presidential nominee and could harbor White House ambitions.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Former Packer talks leadership, teamwork at Boy Scouts fundraiser
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Fresh snow possible for American Birkebeiner
- Interfaith panel promotes understanding
- 'Spudmobile' makes stop at La Crosse schools