WESTBY, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATE: A helicopter pilot survives a crash in Westby Monday afternoon.
It happened just after 1:00 p.m. about 100 yards west of Nordic Lanes bowling alley.
Sgt. Scott Stuber with the Westby Police Department says the helicopter was spraying a corn field when the rear tail rotor struck a power line.
The rotor was ripped away from the helicopter causing it to spin and eventually crash.
The pilot, 27-year-old Jonathan Wanda of Harvard, Illinoios, was the only person on board. Sgt. Stuber says he was able to walk away from the crash, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out.
No one on the ground was injured.
According to a witness, the helicopter was spraying fields for MF Helicopters out of East Troy, Wisconsin.
- Walker to launch re-election campaign Nov. 5 in Waukesha
- Part of Market Street, La Crosse closed for utility work
- Water-damaged cars from Hurricane Harvey may end up for sale locally
- Wisconsin prison head says more space needed
- Minnesota State considers changing tuition policy
- Watt brothers' Badgers bobblehead unveiled
- Receptionist's family sues over fatal Minnesota school blast
- Iowa City bans smoking, chewing tobacco in all city parks
- Search to resume for missing boater
- Uncertainty reigns ahead of new health care sign-up period