Family celebrations for the 4th of July seem to almost always include fireworks, but health experts are reminding people of their dangers.
Kim Lombard, the trauma and injury prevention coordinator at Gundersen Health System, says sparklers are actually the firework most likely to cause an injury.
"Sparklers can actually reach temperatures of 2000 degrees Fahrenheit, and that's the temperature a blowtorch operates, just to give you perspective, glass melts at 800 degrees Fahrenheit, so these are extreme, hot temperatures," says Lombard.
To be safe, it's recommended one person be in charge of handling and lighting the fireworks, and keep a bucket of water nearby. Everyone else should keep a safe distance.
Also, if a firework you light is a dud, let it sit for 20 minutes. Then douse it in the water.