LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Local health providers are raising awareness about sexually transmitted diseases.
Essential Health Clinic in La Crosse is offering free walk-in STD testing Thursday to get people thinking about safe sex. The clinic will be testing for Chlamydia and gonorrhea, and the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin will be available for HIV testing.
The clinic director says getting tested is important, even if you don't think you have an STD.
"About 50-percent of people that have an STD don't have any symptoms, so they might be carrying an STD and not even know it. They run the risk of passing it along if they're not taking the proper precautions,” said Essential Health Clinic Executive Director Derek Kruempel.
Health providers say while birth control and IUDs prevent pregnancies, they do nothing to prevent the spread of STDs. Providers recommend the use of condoms, but say the only guarantee against transmitted diseases is abstinence.
- Wisconsin lawmaker's daughter charged in opioid death
- Trempealeau DA responds to letter sent to Walker
- La Crosse County may turn to other counties to house inmates
- Aaron Rodgers says collarbone surgery went well
- Granny basketball offers on-court fun, friendship
- Iowa parents charged in death of malnourished toddler
- Walker to launch re-election campaign Nov. 5 in Waukesha
- Wisconsin prison head says more space needed
- Juvenile prison employees described chaotic environment
- FBI human trafficking sting saves 2 Wisconsin children