WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - The Winona County Sheriff's Office identified the fisherman who drowned Sunday in a boating accident on the Mississippi River.
Telesforo Pena-Bautista, 23, died Sunday in a boating accident near a lock and dam in Winona County.
According to the Winona Sheriff's Office, two fishermen were on a boat near a lock and dam.
The accident happened near Trempealeau on the Winona side of the river.
One of the fishermen, a 31-year-old male, was rescued.
According to Ron Ganrude with the Winona County Sheriff's Office, a witness fishing on shore noticed the boat capsized by the spillway.
"One of those men was able to get over to shore and the second man was struggling in the water 15, 20 feet off the shore, one of the fishermen on shore then jumped in for a recovery effort, but the man went down before he could get to him and he didn't come up."
According to Sheriffs, the boat was stuck at the spillway and Pena-Bautista was recovered about 75 yards downstream.
- Hamilton Elementary students watch eclipse in La Crosse
- Local schools share optimism amid teacher shortage
- UPDATE: Bond set for La Crosse man who led police on high-speed chase
- State Superintendent Evers to enter governor's race
- Teen pleads guilty to lesser charge in Slender Man attack
- Ryan to face voters following Trump nationwide address
- Minnesotans who work in Wisconsin to receive tax credit
- La Crosse to celebrate downtown with state-wide Wisconsin Main Street Day
- Horse in Jackson County tests positive for West Nile virus
- Minnesota county installs pay phone in government building