WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - The Winona County Sheriff's Office identified the fisherman who drowned Sunday in a boating accident on the Mississippi River.
Telesforo Pena-Bautista, 23, died Sunday in a boating accident near a lock and dam in Winona County.
According to the Winona Sheriff's Office, two fishermen were on a boat near a lock and dam.
The accident happened near Trempealeau on the Winona side of the river.
One of the fishermen, a 31-year-old male, was rescued.
According to Ron Ganrude with the Winona County Sheriff's Office, a witness fishing on shore noticed the boat capsized by the spillway.
"One of those men was able to get over to shore and the second man was struggling in the water 15, 20 feet off the shore, one of the fishermen on shore then jumped in for a recovery effort, but the man went down before he could get to him and he didn't come up."
According to Sheriffs, the boat was stuck at the spillway and Pena-Bautista was recovered about 75 yards downstream.
- Klobuchar promotes Guard and Reserve legislation
- Aspen Dental offers free dental care to veterans
- Ex-Wisconsin teacher sentenced for sexual assault of student
- Company: 5th worker has died after Wisconsin mill explosion
- UW-L science camps offer kids hands-on learning
- Mayo Clinic opens in Belle Square
- ReNew La Crosse celebrates neighborhood revitalization efforts
- Study provides more accurate estimates of genetic breast, ovarian cancer risk
- Rotary racks up the ribs with annual 'Rock-n-Ribs' event
- Celebrate Onalaska kicks off