Firefighters are warning about the dangers of using space heaters.
The National Fire Protection Association says space heaters make up one-third of all home heating fires in the U.S. There's already been one in our area this winter in Coon Valley.
Firefighters say it's best to plug it directly into the wall, keep it three feet away from all combustibles, and turn it off when you go to bed. "Shut your space heaters off, add some more blankets to your bed, cause when those things are unattended we don't have an eye on them, if we have something that goes wrong, that's when we have some problems," said Div. Chief Craig Snyder with the La Crosse Fire Department.
It's also recommended you have a device that automatically turns off if tipped over.