CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) -

Firefighters have contained a fire at a Cedar Rapids recycling center that produced black smoke for miles and injured one person.

City officials say the fire was reported Thursday morning in the scrap yard of CC Recycling. Responding firefighters found a pile of scrap vehicles and other items on fire.

Most of the fire was extinguished within an hour. A recycling center employee suffered possible burn injuries and was taken to a hospital.

Authorities believe the injured employee was draining gasoline from a scrap vehicle when the liquid leaked onto the ground and was ignited by a spark.

Nearby buildings were not affected. Additional equipment will be brought in so firefighters can check for hot spots around debris.