LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The band program at Lincoln Middle School in La Crosse is working with an esteemed member of the music industry.
Robert W. Smith is a prolific composer and arranger of over 600 pieces for concert bands and orchestras.
On Friday morning, Smith held a workshop with students focusing on improving skills through pieces written by him.
One of Lincoln's band directors, Jason Harden, says Smith is able to give students a realistic look inside of the music industry.
"It is great to bring this opportunity to them. It's one that they don't normally have so to have them come in and get to spend time-it's magical for me and I can tell definitely for them too," Harden said.
Smith is in town this week working with the La Crosse Youth Symphony on a new composition for the group's 50th anniversary this year.
- University of Wisconsin, DNR and K-12 schools in spotlight
- Democrat Cullen won't run for governor
- Four arrested in La Crosse on drug charges
- Police investigate threat at Westby Middle School
- Train derailment in Prairie du Chien late Wednesday
- The Latest: DNR secretary defends eliminating magazine
- Wisconsin closer to calling for constitutional convention
- Wisconsin lawmakers offer differing views of youth prison
- Access to crime database stirs debate in Minneapolis
- Unlicensed service cuts down city-owned trees in St. Paul