LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The band program at Lincoln Middle School in La Crosse is working with an esteemed member of the music industry.
Robert W. Smith is a prolific composer and arranger of over 600 pieces for concert bands and orchestras.
On Friday morning, Smith held a workshop with students focusing on improving skills through pieces written by him.
One of Lincoln's band directors, Jason Harden, says Smith is able to give students a realistic look inside of the music industry.
"It is great to bring this opportunity to them. It's one that they don't normally have so to have them come in and get to spend time-it's magical for me and I can tell definitely for them too," Harden said.
Smith is in town this week working with the La Crosse Youth Symphony on a new composition for the group's 50th anniversary this year.
- Heavy rain causes huge sink hole in La Crosse
- Arcadia flooding leaves behind mess, displaces residents
- Area businesses prepare for more flooding
- Minneapolis Police Chief resigns after fatal shooting
- Catholic Charities offers assistance with Disaster Recovery
- Officials: Contrary to rumors, Neshonoc Dam not failing
- Gov. Walker declares state of emergency in 17 counties
- Experts: take necessary precautions cleaning up flood water
- Seven BNSF train cars derail in La Crosse
- WAFER Food Pantry reopens after flooding