LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The band program at Lincoln Middle School in La Crosse is working with an esteemed member of the music industry.
Robert W. Smith is a prolific composer and arranger of over 600 pieces for concert bands and orchestras.
On Friday morning, Smith held a workshop with students focusing on improving skills through pieces written by him.
One of Lincoln's band directors, Jason Harden, says Smith is able to give students a realistic look inside of the music industry.
"It is great to bring this opportunity to them. It's one that they don't normally have so to have them come in and get to spend time-it's magical for me and I can tell definitely for them too," Harden said.
Smith is in town this week working with the La Crosse Youth Symphony on a new composition for the group's 50th anniversary this year.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently