WEST SALEM, WI -

The West Salem Fire Department says an electrical issue caused a fire at a house on Mill Street Wednesday afternoon.

When crews arrived on scene at about 2:30 p.m., they found a small fire and the basement was filling up with smoke.

Firefighters say a cord shorted from a grinder plugged into receptacle from the ceiling. Crews removed the ceiling, checked the outlet and extinguished the fire rapidly.

Two people were home at the time of the fire. They were able to make it out okay.

Firefighters say there was minimal damage to the house, mainly smoke damage.