LA CROSSE, Wis. - The saying proved right on Saturday night for La Crosse Central - 'It's tough to beat a team three times.' The Red Raiders knocked off state-ranked Onalaska in the regional final.
Central faces the same situation in Thursday night's sectional semifinal, going up against a Logan squad that beat them 56-34 on January 3rd and 55-51 on February 1st.
"It's tough to beat a team three times, its also tough to lose three times, but we lost to Onalaska twice too and came out and beat them," says Central head coach Nahmie George.
The Red Raiders are on a season-best four game winning streak, which couldn't of happened at a better time says senior Kathleen Pangier. "This winning streak that we've had, we haven't had this for a while and it feels good and it gives us motivation that we haven't beat Logan in awhile."19214604
"We're getting confident going in because it was a pretty close game last time and we've seen what they do so we know whats coming," adds junior Brittany Baldwin.
Logan head coach Jason Bahr isn't forgetting their two regular season wins against their intra-city rival. But instead of relishing in those victories, he says they need to look back and correct mistakes made in those games. "We'll take the 2-0 during the season, but we're not looking at it as that. We did not dominate them at all the second time."
However some Rangers players are completely erasing the memory of their previous meetings with Central. "We're throwing everything out that happened in the season, playoffs are a whole new start and we know Central has been catching fire here," says senior Grace Onsrud.
The one thing both teams agree on is that everything is on the line in this playoff meeting, winner becomes one victory away from a state berth while the loser sees their season come to an end. "It ups the ante for the game, everyone is going to come out and play the best that they can, so it should be a good game," says Logan senior Adaysha Williams.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government