ONALASKA, Wis. - The Coulee Region Humane Society wouldn't be able to operate without its nearly 300 volunteers, and a Bangor High School student is one of them helping to make a difference within the organization.
We caught up with this month's Student Making a Difference, Mandy Dwyer, recently at a Bowl-a-thon fundraiser for the humane society.
Mandy volunteers a couple of times a week. She spends a lot of the time working with the dogs at the shelter, socializing them and making sure they get enough exercise. The goal is to help them become more adoptable.17273980
She says volunteering has become a part of her life. "It makes me feel good and I definitely like helping out animals, and if I could find any other place I could volunteer at, I definitely would. I like helping people."
The volunteer coordinator at the Humane Society says Mandy is a great fit. "Mandy is a really fantastic volunteer. She's been with us for 5 months, she's very committed. She's already put in nearly 75 hours of volunteer service which is huge for our high school students, it's a big undertaking, but she does a great job," said Becky Rowe.
Mandy says she plans to continue working with animals, especially in the future. She hopes to either go into law enforcement working with K-9's or become a veterinarian.
If you know a student who's making a difference in the community, make sure to nominate them for the award right here on News8000.com.
Along with the recognition, the students also get a certificate, a $100 donation to their group or charity, a sports bag, and a DVD copy of their story.
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Man died after kayak capsized, Des Moines authorities say
- Man fatally shot in Waterloo, authorities say
- 2 in custody for downtown Duluth shooting