MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) - Mark Mone will serve as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) interim chancellor, University of Wisconsin System President Ray Cross announced Tuesday.
Current UWM Chancellor Michael R. Lovell will leave the university next month to be the first lay president of Marquette University in Milwaukee.
Mone has been a member of the UWM faculty since 1989. He's currently a professor of management within the UWM Lubar School of Business and he has served as the Chancellor's Designee for Strategic Planning and Campus Climate for the past two years.
"I greatly appreciate this opportunity to continue to advance current UWM initiatives," Mone said in a statement. "Under the heading of ‘Moving Forward Together,' I intend to work with all constituencies to complete and begin implementing our strategic plan, continue work on strengthening student enrollment and educational quality, further engage our university partners through research, education and service, and identify and obtain additional resources for our campus."
"Mark's academic credentials, leadership experiences, industry background, and long-term tenure with
UW-Milwaukee make him an excellent choice for interim chancellor," Cross said in a statement. "Mark has been actively involved in developing UWM's 2020 strategic plan. The relationships he has built in this effort, together with his extensive knowledge of the university and wider community, will keep UWM's significant research and academic initiatives moving on an upward trajectory."
Cross will work with the Board of Regents and the UWM community to begin a national search for the university's next chancellor, aiming to have a permanent appointment made by the beginning of 2015.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers