MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) - Mark Mone will serve as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) interim chancellor, University of Wisconsin System President Ray Cross announced Tuesday.
Current UWM Chancellor Michael R. Lovell will leave the university next month to be the first lay president of Marquette University in Milwaukee.
Mone has been a member of the UWM faculty since 1989. He's currently a professor of management within the UWM Lubar School of Business and he has served as the Chancellor's Designee for Strategic Planning and Campus Climate for the past two years.
"I greatly appreciate this opportunity to continue to advance current UWM initiatives," Mone said in a statement. "Under the heading of ‘Moving Forward Together,' I intend to work with all constituencies to complete and begin implementing our strategic plan, continue work on strengthening student enrollment and educational quality, further engage our university partners through research, education and service, and identify and obtain additional resources for our campus."
"Mark's academic credentials, leadership experiences, industry background, and long-term tenure with
UW-Milwaukee make him an excellent choice for interim chancellor," Cross said in a statement. "Mark has been actively involved in developing UWM's 2020 strategic plan. The relationships he has built in this effort, together with his extensive knowledge of the university and wider community, will keep UWM's significant research and academic initiatives moving on an upward trajectory."
Cross will work with the Board of Regents and the UWM community to begin a national search for the university's next chancellor, aiming to have a permanent appointment made by the beginning of 2015.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.