LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Sixth graders in La Crosse took part in a Global Awareness Competition on Wednesday.
They worked in small groups focusing on a specific issue. Some included worldwide hunger, women's rights, global warming, and the NSA surveillance system.
Along with researching the issue, the students put together a plan of action to solve the problem.
"The more people who learn about them and the more people who know about them, the more people who will try to prevent them, so it's really good for people to know about global issues," said La Crosse Design Institute sixth grader Parker Blumentritt.
The winning team, "Hunger Around the World" at Lincoln Middle School gets $500 to put towards their issue.
The final results are listed below.
1st Place: Hunger Around the World -- Lincoln Middle School
2nd Place: Worldwide Obesity -- Lincoln Middle School
3rd Place: Global Warming -- Lincoln Middle School
Hunger and Malnutrition -- Longfellow Middle School
Fresh Water Storage -- Logan Middle School
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash