LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Sixth graders in La Crosse took part in a Global Awareness Competition on Wednesday.
They worked in small groups focusing on a specific issue. Some included worldwide hunger, women's rights, global warming, and the NSA surveillance system.
Along with researching the issue, the students put together a plan of action to solve the problem.
"The more people who learn about them and the more people who know about them, the more people who will try to prevent them, so it's really good for people to know about global issues," said La Crosse Design Institute sixth grader Parker Blumentritt.
The winning team, "Hunger Around the World" at Lincoln Middle School gets $500 to put towards their issue.
The final results are listed below.
1st Place: Hunger Around the World -- Lincoln Middle School
2nd Place: Worldwide Obesity -- Lincoln Middle School
3rd Place: Global Warming -- Lincoln Middle School
Hunger and Malnutrition -- Longfellow Middle School
Fresh Water Storage -- Logan Middle School
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- La Crosse rally supports transgender youth
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Officers go 'wild' in support of Special Olympics
- Family Fest returns to La Crosse Center this weekend
- Vikings' stadium board at full strength after resignations
- Storm misses Birkie course, race canceled
- Judges express skepticism over claims in voting cases