LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Shanon Bills is a kindergarten teacher at Hintgen Elementary. Parents say her patience and caring spirit creates a love of learning in all her students.
When you walk into Mrs Bills' kindergarten classroom you will notice quite a few faces.
"I always call them the Bills Babies and I always tell them 'Once a Bills Baby, always a Bills Baby' so they can't ever get rid of me," Bills said.
Bills has been a kindergarten teacher for 14 years now, but this grade level wasn't her first choice.
"I remember saying to people I will never teach kindergarten. I got this minor just because it looked good and I never envisioned that I would be a kindergarten teacher and that's all I've ever done," she said.
And she feels she made the right choice.
"I think this is where it's at. I think this is where they are the most impressionable and excited about learning. Everything is so exciting, they're happy to be here, it's a joy," Bills said.
Her students seem glad she stayed with kindergarten.
"Because she is really sweet," kindergartener Will Wemette said.
Will gives her a pretty high grade.
"Two thumbs up and a tongue," he said.
Mrs. Bills said she treats her students as if they were her own children, which she feels is one of her keys to success.
"When they leave this classroom they might not remember those things I said or taught them but they'll remember how they felt, they'll remember how special they felt and that they can do anything if they set their mind to it. I felt like that as a first and second grader from my teacher and she inspired me to do it for other children so I think that's how I ended up here," Bills said.
Bills said one thing she tries hard to do is reward her kids for being kind and compassionate. She says more important than anything she wants them to learn to be kind hearted, good little people.
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2017
- Oktoberfest officials move Festmaster's Ball to August
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting