WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - An area school district is ending the school year in a fun way thanks to a new partnership with a local business.
The West Salem School District recently reached a deal with Bakalars to provide the district's hot dogs for the lunch program.
Since Friday was the last day of school, the district celebrated by having a hot dog picnic for lunch at the middle school.
West Salem's Director of Nutrition Services, Kerri Feyen, says they're always excited to work with area businesses to help bring local options to the lunch room.
"We're creating 1700 new customers for that business's product, so it's a win-win all the way around for us," said Feyen. "When we can get a company to come in and do something like this, to go out of their way, above and beyond, hopefully other companies will see this and maybe try to make those same strides."
In addition to Friday's hot dog picnic, Bakalars will be providing low-sodium hot dogs for the district's lunch menus year-round.
The West Salem School District also has agreements with companies in Viroqua and Mindoro to provide their produce and ground beef.
- Poll shows lack of support of higher taxes for roads
- Poll shows most Wisconsinites oppose repealing health law
- Democrat Vinehout registers to run for governor
- Trump's approval rating worsens in Wisconsin
- Man who died during armed robbery identified
- Gov. Walker announces campaign to promote veteran-owned businesses
- Witnesses heard engine backfire before Wisconsin plane crash
- Shop owners, police stress firework safety and legality
- Walker approval rating at highest level since October 2014
- Fireworks Recalled due to burn and injury hazards