BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wis. - In this Assignment: Education update... we take you back to Black River Falls High School where students in a writing class studied journalism this past Fall.
The lesson was a part of a program run by PBS NewsHour. The network sponsors Student Reporting Labs where high school students from across the nation learn journalism skills.
Black River Falls High School Junior Devin Newby was named a PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs "All-Star."
Newby was one of ten student journalists from across the country to receive the honor last week. The nomination process was based on a student's contribution to journalism and public media.
As part of the Reporting Lab experience, Newby and his classmates worked with a public media mentor from Washtington D.C. to produce original news reports. The students' work was featured on the national Student Reporting Labs website as well as the network's national broadcast.
Along with being named an "All Star," Devin will also get to travel to Washington D.C. to help teachers from around the country develop curricula to engage young people in news and current affairs.
- Holmen teen facing attempted homicide charges following stabbing
- La Crosse Police Department sees increase in applicants
- Wisconsin Revenue Department touts anti-fraud efforts
- The Latest: Wisconsin superintendent hopefuls hold forum
- Two found dead near Oshkosh during welfare check
- Previous mild winters help this year's snow budget
- Stripper sues club in popular tourist destination
- Appeals court won't put Trump's travel ban case on hold
- Pocan bringing immigrant to Trump's congressional speech
- Republican proposes raising UW tuition by inflation, income