BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wis. - In this Assignment: Education update... we take you back to Black River Falls High School where students in a writing class studied journalism this past Fall.
The lesson was a part of a program run by PBS NewsHour. The network sponsors Student Reporting Labs where high school students from across the nation learn journalism skills.
Black River Falls High School Junior Devin Newby was named a PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs "All-Star."
Newby was one of ten student journalists from across the country to receive the honor last week. The nomination process was based on a student's contribution to journalism and public media.
As part of the Reporting Lab experience, Newby and his classmates worked with a public media mentor from Washtington D.C. to produce original news reports. The students' work was featured on the national Student Reporting Labs website as well as the network's national broadcast.
Along with being named an "All Star," Devin will also get to travel to Washington D.C. to help teachers from around the country develop curricula to engage young people in news and current affairs.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016