WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - A local event is bringing kids and law enforcement together.
The third annual Day at the Lake was held at Lake Neshonoc in West Salem Sunday.
Kids from the Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and members of the community were invited to join law enforcement officials for a day of fun.
The event honors Sara Hougom, who was tragically murdered in 2012.
Sherry Hougom, mother of Sara, and president of the Sara Rose Hougom foundation said the event is a way for kids to connect better with local law enforcement.
“For me I wanted to be able to unite the kids with the police, to know that they're there to help us. They're so wonderful, they do so much for our community. For the police to bond with the kids and everything we do is Sara style. It's done with a positive, happy energetic zest for life,” Hougom said.
About 300 people attended the event.
- Viola man killed in Vernon County motorcycle accident
- Soccer tournament draws thousands of athletes
- Madison police change deadly force procedures
- Guard who dragged teen across floor gets bonus restored
- La Crosse Mayor, Shelby Town Board Chair present boundary agreement
- Volunteer organizes fundraiser for Onalaska Police Department's K-9 unit
- Wisconsin farmers help harvest corn after neighbor's death
- University of Minnesota starts sexual assault task force
- News 8 Sports Round Up-October 21, 2017
- Enchanted Forest gives kids chance to trick or treat early