LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - One of the men involved in an early morning shootout and chase with police appeared in court Tuesday.
Wyatt Helfrich, 19, of La Crosse stood in front of a La Crosse County judge Tuesday morning. Helfrich is charged with two counts of use of deadly force against an officer, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, and fleeing officers in a vehicle.
Helfrich is one of the two men La Crescent officers pulled over near La Crescent early Monday morning.
The two men began firing at the officers and fled the scene, continuing to shoot at the officers. The suspects ran into stop sticks placed by responding officers and crashed into a field, where they tried to flee on foot before being caught.
Helfrich was taken to the hospital for non- life threatening injuries. He was jailed in La Crosse the same day. The other man, William Wallfraff, 19, is being held in the Houston County Jail.
Neither of the officers were injured and both are on administrative leave.
- Juvenile prison employees described chaotic environment
- Wisconsin lawmaker's daughter charged in opioid death
- Trempealeau DA responds to letter sent to Walker
- FBI human trafficking sting saves 2 Wisconsin children
- DNR board to consider ATV, motorcycle trails in state forest
- 125 years in prison for trucker who assaulted children
- Aaron Rodgers says collarbone surgery went well
- Iowa parents charged in death of malnourished toddler
- 'My Neighbor is a Muslim' series aims to increase understanding of religion
- Sleepy Hollow's Haunted Hedge Maze open this weekend