LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A mother and daughter from Onalaska charged with multiple counts of child neglect and animal mistreatment will be going to trial after being unable to reach a plea deal.
74-year-old Linda West and 37-year-old Carol Jean West were in court Monday morning for a plea hearing.
The two women are charged with 29 crimes each, including two counts of child neglect and six counts of mistreatment of animals causing death.
County deputies say they found nearly 60 animals living in unsanitary conditions with little food or water.
Carol West's 11- and 8-year-old children also lived in the home.
Both women are now scheduled to go to trial in late September.
- University of Wisconsin, DNR and K-12 schools in spotlight
- Democrat Cullen won't run for governor
- Four arrested in La Crosse on drug charges
- Police investigate threat at Westby Middle School
- Train derailment in Prairie du Chien late Wednesday
- The Latest: DNR secretary defends eliminating magazine
- Wisconsin closer to calling for constitutional convention
- Wisconsin lawmakers offer differing views of youth prison
- Access to crime database stirs debate in Minneapolis
- Unlicensed service cuts down city-owned trees in St. Paul