LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) -
DeShawn Huff, the driver of the stolen vehicle that let La Crosse police on a high speed chase July 9, passed away from his injuries Tuesday, La Crosse police said.
An autopsy will be conducted with the La Crosse County Medical Examiner's Office and Wisconsin State Patrol.
La Crosse Police identify man that crashed into the water near Norplex Drive July 9.
DeShawn Huff, 19, of Winona was driving a vehicle that was reported stolen when police attempted to make a traffic stop at 2nd and Grove Street. Huff drove away at a high rate of speed southbound on 2nd Street. The driver was reaching speeds exceeding 60 mph at times and the chase continued onto Norplex Drive, police said.
Huff lost control of the car at the intersection of Norplex Drive and Hood Street, the car jumped the curb and continued into Swift Creek.
Police said Huff got out of the car as it was sinking and several officers went into the water and threw rescue ropes to him. Huff was unable to grab the ropes or stay afloat.
La Crosse Fire Department Dive Rescue Team and La Crosse county Dive Rescue Team pulled Huff out of the water and he was taken to an area hospital where he still is in critical condition.
La Crosse Police continue to investigate the stolen vehicle incident and the Wisconsin State Patrol will assist in a reconstruction of the crash.
- Family serves others after receiving Thanksgiving meal
- La Crosse Community Thanksgiving Dinner welcomes all
- Pro basketball returns to La Crosse this weekend
- "A Little Princess" comes to La Crosse
- Onalaska Community Thanksgiving dinner a community effort
- Franken apologizes for making some women 'feel badly'
- Minn. man accused of repeatedly punching newborn
- Turkey Trot spreads holiday cheer while raising money
- Jackson County family displaced after mobile home fire
- Woman injured in Vernon County car, horse and buggy crash