LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Bond is set Monday for a man who allegedly stole a vehicle and crashed near Sparta this weekend.
Monday afternoon, Judge Ramona Gonzalez set bond at $10,000 cash for 31- year- old Christopher Benson from La Crosse.
Benson allegedly stole a vehicle Saturday night and drove up to one-hundred miles per hour from La Crosse to Sparta along Interstate 90. Officers chased the vehicle until it went off the road near Sparta. Benson ran from the accident but was found hiding in a vehicle in a garage in the Sparta area.
He faces nine charges, including Recklessly Endangering Safety and Operating a Motor Vehicle Without Consent.
A La Crosse man took authorities on a 20 mile pursuit this weekend on I-90.
Felony charges are pending for Christopher N. Benson, 31, who led police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car reaching speeds of up to 100 mph on I-90, according to a police report.
The chase began at the 1400 block of Caledonia. Benson sped through La Crosse and then onto I-90. Benson drove over stop sticks near mile marker 19 and lost control of the car and drove into a ditch and then into a field. A Monroe County Sheriff found Benson in a garage nearby.
Benson faces charges of operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, recklessly endangering safety, fleeing police and bail jumping.
- Viola man killed in Vernon County motorcycle accident
- Soccer tournament draws thousands of athletes
- Madison police change deadly force procedures
- Guard who dragged teen across floor gets bonus restored
- La Crosse Mayor, Shelby Town Board Chair present boundary agreement
- Volunteer organizes fundraiser for Onalaska Police Department's K-9 unit
- Olympic trainer helps teach gymnastic coaches
- Volunteers carve 500 pumpkins
- Wisconsin farmers help harvest corn after neighbor's death
- University of Minnesota starts sexual assault task force