LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) -

A gas leak causes a scare near Valley View Mall Wednesday at about 8 a.m.

The La Crosse Fire Department says construction crews working on building the new Dick's Sporting Goods hit a gas line.

No injuries or illnesses were reported. Fire crews were concerned that the leak was happening right next to the Holiday Inn Express.

"Our main concern was making sure that the gas wasn't getting into the building. We were getting some readings on our meters, so we went room by room and went through the whole building and confirmed that it was safe for the occupants,” said La Crosse Fire Division Chief Tom Wallerich.

Xcel Energy contained the leak within an hour and immediately started working on repairs.