No one was injured in a fire that destroyed a family's house in Brownsville, Minnesota, Wednesday morning.
The Brownsville Fire Department tells News 8 a woman, a 3-year-old and their dog were home at the time of the fire at 9th and Main Streets.
She told firefighters she smelled smoke before the fire alarm went off. Everyone got out safe. Firefighters suspect the fire started in the basement, possibly from a wood stove. Dave Guckelberger of the Brownsville Fire Department says wood stored in the basement helped to fuel the fire.
The woman told News 8 she and her boyfriend and their 3-year-old will be staying with family. Her boyfriend was at work at the time of the fire.
Guckelberger said this incident is an opportunity to remind people with wood stoves to keep your chimney clean, make sure you're burning dry wood, and keep a clear area around the stove.
The Caledonia and Hokah Fire Departments assisted the Brownsville Fire Department.