Police confirm the body found in the Mississippi River near New Albin, Iowa, Thursday is the man authorities were searching the river for since May 9.
An extensive search for the man was conducted over the past week, with the La Crosse police attempting to identify him. Through the investigation, police concluded that the man observed in the river on May 9th was likely David Reckase, 29, of La Crosse.
At 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Reckase was recovered from the Mississippi River by a Houston County sheriff's deputy between Reno, Minnesota and New Albin, Iowa.
Police said it appears that Reckase willingly entered the river, and no foul play is suspected.
PREVIOUS: Emergency crews, including the La Crosse Fire Department's Dive Rescue team, searched the Mississippi River near Houska Park after a woman reported seeing a man struggling in the water on Tuesday, May 9.
The woman made contact with the person who verified they needed assistance. The woman lost sight of the person shortly after and called the La Crosse Fire Department.
- Arcadia flooding evacuates homes, keeps thousands of employees from work
- Flood waters rise quickly in Centerville
- Destruction after EF-1 tornado rips through McGregor, Iowa
- Storm destroys historical plane in Prairie Du Chien
- Ontario suffers serious damage after heavy rain
- STORM DAMAGE REPORTS
- Red Cross opening shelters in four locations
- July 19/20 Storm Pictures
- La Crosse Parks & Rec close all city trails
- Gundersen Blair Clinic is closed today