LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse's Blue Stars are celebrating their 50th anniversary tonight, with an evening of musical entertainment at UW-L's Veterans Memorial Field.
Current members and alumni came together to provide a performance for La Crosse residents. 15 other drum corps, about 2,000 performers altogether, came from across the country to join in on the music tonight. Organizers say the Blue Stars show what can be accomplished when musicians come together in a community.
"It shows off their artistry, their musical talents, their dance ability, their percussionists... I just think it's important to see young adults not only from an artistic aspect, but to see them out there working hard and performing for the audience, there's nothing quite like it," said Brad Furlano, executive director of the Blue Stars.
Despite a one-hour delay because of the rain, the Blue Stars expected to bring in about 3,000 people with tonight's performance.
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting
- Candle caused fatal Madison condo fire; victim identified
- Walker asks public for help selling his budget
- 90 cans of baby formula stolen from Walmart