LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse's Blue Stars are celebrating their 50th anniversary tonight, with an evening of musical entertainment at UW-L's Veterans Memorial Field.
Current members and alumni came together to provide a performance for La Crosse residents. 15 other drum corps, about 2,000 performers altogether, came from across the country to join in on the music tonight. Organizers say the Blue Stars show what can be accomplished when musicians come together in a community.
"It shows off their artistry, their musical talents, their dance ability, their percussionists... I just think it's important to see young adults not only from an artistic aspect, but to see them out there working hard and performing for the audience, there's nothing quite like it," said Brad Furlano, executive director of the Blue Stars.
Despite a one-hour delay because of the rain, the Blue Stars expected to bring in about 3,000 people with tonight's performance.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Wisconsin's youth prison hit with another lawsuit
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- Walker signs bill allowing minors at music festivals
- Minnesota lawmaker aims to make it harder to avoid vaccines
- 2-year-old Milwaukee boy accidentally shoots self
- The Latest: Lawmakers work through the night on state budget
- Man pleads not guilty in deadly Iowa jail escape
- Man accused of killing parents, sister, pleads not guilty
- Senators want hearing aids available over the counter