MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin is supporting a pair of President Donald Trump's appointees.
Baldwin said Friday that she backs Gen. James Mattis for secretary of the Defense Department and retired Gen. John Kelly for Secretary of Homeland Security. The Senate was to vote on their confirmations Friday.
Baldwin says in a release she has "deep respect" for Mattis' military service. She says "because he knows the costs of war, I am hopeful that he will provide a strong and principled voice within the next administration."
Baldwin says Kelly's service record "speaks to his commitment to keep our nation safe." She says she is confident that Kelly understands cybersecurity threats facing the country as well as the opioid and heroin problems in America and Wisconsin.
- Walker administration renews self-insurance push
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery