MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin is supporting a pair of President Donald Trump's appointees.
Baldwin said Friday that she backs Gen. James Mattis for secretary of the Defense Department and retired Gen. John Kelly for Secretary of Homeland Security. The Senate was to vote on their confirmations Friday.
Baldwin says in a release she has "deep respect" for Mattis' military service. She says "because he knows the costs of war, I am hopeful that he will provide a strong and principled voice within the next administration."
Baldwin says Kelly's service record "speaks to his commitment to keep our nation safe." She says she is confident that Kelly understands cybersecurity threats facing the country as well as the opioid and heroin problems in America and Wisconsin.
- Arcadia flooding evacuates homes, keeps thousands of employees from work
- Ontario suffers serious damage after heavy rain
- STORM DAMAGE REPORTS
- Red Cross opening shelters in four locations
- July 19/20 Storm Pictures
- La Crosse Parks & Rec close all city trails
- Gundersen Blair Clinic is closed today
- Severe storms cause extensive damage
- Storm damage destroys historical plane in Prairie Du Chien
- Destruction after EF-1 tornado rips through McGregor, Iowa