MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin is supporting a pair of President Donald Trump's appointees.
Baldwin said Friday that she backs Gen. James Mattis for secretary of the Defense Department and retired Gen. John Kelly for Secretary of Homeland Security. The Senate was to vote on their confirmations Friday.
Baldwin says in a release she has "deep respect" for Mattis' military service. She says "because he knows the costs of war, I am hopeful that he will provide a strong and principled voice within the next administration."
Baldwin says Kelly's service record "speaks to his commitment to keep our nation safe." She says she is confident that Kelly understands cybersecurity threats facing the country as well as the opioid and heroin problems in America and Wisconsin.
- La Crosse man arrested for armed robbery, police looking for another
- Neighborhood revitalization projects in full swing this year
- Local fire departments work to hire, retain firefighters
- Man wanted for retail theft leads area authorities on high speed chase
- Poll finds no consensus on Wisconsin roads funding
- Drug and alcohol prevention program expanding to local schools
- Onalaska hires new City Administrator
- Wisconsin fugitive convicted of kidnapping Michigan student
- Police: 2 critically hurt in Wisconsin shooting
- Majority of Wisconsin voters want to keep health care law