MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Democratic U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin is supporting a pair of President Donald Trump's appointees.
Baldwin said Friday that she backs Gen. James Mattis for secretary of the Defense Department and retired Gen. John Kelly for Secretary of Homeland Security. The Senate was to vote on their confirmations Friday.
Baldwin says in a release she has "deep respect" for Mattis' military service. She says "because he knows the costs of war, I am hopeful that he will provide a strong and principled voice within the next administration."
Baldwin says Kelly's service record "speaks to his commitment to keep our nation safe." She says she is confident that Kelly understands cybersecurity threats facing the country as well as the opioid and heroin problems in America and Wisconsin.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers