SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATE: Authorities release the name of the person killed in an early Sunday morning crash in Monroe County.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office said Keith Wayne Nelson, 70, of Warrens died at the scene. Nelson was the passenger in the vehicle, authorities said.
PREVIOUS: One person is dead and another injured after a single-vehicle crash in Monroe County Sunday morning.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office said the crash happened at 1:55 a.m. in the village of Warrens.
The driver, Yancy Dieter, 44 was traveling eastbound on county Highway EW, east of Jellystone Park Drive when his vehicle went off the road and hit some telephone boxes and trees before rolling on its top.
A passenger in the vehicle died. Dieter was transported to Tomah Memorial Hospital with serious injuries.
Officials believe speed and alcohol were factors in the crash. It is unknown if either person was wearing a seat belt.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Water-damaged cars from Hurricane Harvey may end up for sale locally
- Walker to launch re-election campaign Nov. 5 in Waukesha
- Watt brothers' Badgers bobblehead unveiled
- Receptionist's family sues over fatal Minnesota school blast
- Iowa City bans smoking, chewing tobacco in all city parks
- Search to resume for missing boater
- Uncertainty reigns ahead of new health care sign-up period
- Part of Market Street, La Crosse closed for utility work
- Packers QB Brett Hundley prepares for 1st NFL start
- Enchanted Forest returns to Myrick Park this weekend