LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) -

La Crosse firefighters are reminding residents to watch their cooking, after responding to a fire sparked by an unattended stove Saturday.

Just after 7 a.m., crews responded to an apartment fire on the 1500 block of Avon Street. After searching the apartment, firefighters rescued two people from the 3rd floor window. The fire was contained to the one apartment, and residents in the other 11 were asked to stay inside with the doors closed. The rest of the building sustained moderate smoke and water damage.

Firefighters say the cause was an unattended pot on the stove.