(CNN) -- Malaysian security forces launched an operation early Tuesday morning targeting "armed intruders" in Lahad Datu on the Malaysian island of Borneo, Malaysia's official Bernama news agency reports. The standoff began last month when more than 100 men from the mainly Muslim southern Philippines came ashore in the Malaysian state of Sabah on Borneo, demanding to be recognized as representatives of a sultanate that has historical claims on the area.
National And World News
- Teen gets probation for deadly DWI crash
- George W. Bush encourages Ala. kicker with letter
- IKEA recalls children's wall lamps
- Swim champ gives rival his trophy
- Police: Teens break into mansion, party
- Student, 19, dies in fraternity 'ritual'
- Turkey shuts border to Syria
- Budget deal seeks to lock down database of dead people
- Boy, 6, will not face sexual harassment claim