(CNN) -- Malaysian security forces launched an operation early Tuesday morning targeting "armed intruders" in Lahad Datu on the Malaysian island of Borneo, Malaysia's official Bernama news agency reports. The standoff began last month when more than 100 men from the mainly Muslim southern Philippines came ashore in the Malaysian state of Sabah on Borneo, demanding to be recognized as representatives of a sultanate that has historical claims on the area.
National And World News
- Police: Newlyweds lure man for thrill killing
- Ukraine braces for more protests
- NASA shares image of massive 'Hexagon'
- Heart cancels SeaWorld show
- Jenni Rivera plane crash probe still ongoing
- Sheriff says no to lowering flag for Mandela
- Series of blasts kill 24 in Iraq
- Female Egyptian protesters' defender arrested
- Thai opposition to resign from parliament