TOMAH, Wis. -

The American Red Cross is assisting residents of a two-apartment house in Tomah after an early morning fire.

Tomah's Fire Chief Kevin Decorah says nobody was hurt, but the home is so damaged it's uninhabitable.

Firefighters responded to the home at 114 West Council Street just after midnight Tuesday, when a neighbor reported seeing smoke and flames on the upper floor of the home.

Fire officials believe the fire started in the second-floor apartment, not long after the occupant left for work.

Twenty firefighters from both the Tomah and Sparta Area Fire District Departments fought the fire for nearly five hours.