ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -

St. Paul leaders are putting the design of the St. Paul Saints' new ballpark out for bid.

The Taxpayers League of Minnesota and Republican activist Greg Copeland filed a lawsuit last week to block construction, arguing the city awarded a contract to Ryan Cos. in violation of competitive bidding laws.

City officials had previously said the project was exempt from the bidding process. But the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports city officials announced Wednesday a request for proposals will be issued on Nov. 30.

Mayor Chris Coleman says they did it in the interest of transparency. Taxpayers League President Phil Krinkie calls the decision "a victory for advocates of fairness, openness and transparency in the spending of taxpayer's money."

The $52 million stadium is expected to open in 2015.